We love the health site, The People’s Pharmacy. Not only do they offer wonderful tips for safe and healthy living, their headlines often provide great fodder for our “Fun with Headlines” blog posts. For example, one of today’s headlines reads:
“Novel Technique for Zapping Mosquitos”
What comes to your mind?
Here’s what came to ours:
Let’s look at our word of the day: novel.
1. novel. noun.
- a fictitious prose narrative of considerable length and complexity, portraying characters and usually presenting a sequential organization of action and scenes.
- the literary genre represented by novels.
2. novel. adjective.
- of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before: a novel idea.
3. novel. noun.
- Roman Law. a. an imperial enactment subsequent and supplementary to an imperial compilation and codification of authoritative legal materials. b. Usually, Novels, imperial enactments subsequent to the promulgation of Justinian’s Code and supplementary to it: one of the four divisions of the Corpus Juris Civilis.
- Civil Law. an amendment to a statute.