Fun with headlines today …
We read this headline on one of our favorite Web sites, The People’s Pharmacy:
“Heartburn Drug Conquered Warts”
What comes to your mind?
Here’s what came to ours:
So, for our word of the day, we choose to subjugate:
conquer. verb (used with object)
- to acquire by force of arms; win in war: to conquer a foreign land.
- to overcome by force; subdue: to conquer an enemy.
- to gain, win, or obtain by effort, personal appeal, etc.: conquer the hearts of his audience.
- to gain a victory over; surmount; master; overcome: to conquer disease and poverty; to conquer one’s fear.
conquer. verb (used without object)
- to be victorious; make conquests; gain the victory: Despite their differences, their love will conquer.