… in Central Texas y’all!
This is a excerpt from the Austin American-Statesman newspaper some 15 years ago. We just came across it again and thought this to be a great blog post topic, especially for some of our friends who are new to the Austin area.
Here are a few of the most common Central Texas pronunciations followed by what some maintain are the correct ways to say them:
- Guadalupe: Gwa-da-loop vs. Gwa-da-LU-pay
- Manchaca: Man-shack vs. Man-CHA-ka
- Burnet: Burn-it vs. Burr-NETT
- Manor: May-nor vs. Man-ner
- Del Valle: Del-val–lee vs. Del-VAH-yay
- Elgin : L-gin (as in “begin”) vs. L-jun an L-jin (as in the liquor)
- Pedernales: Purr-den-a-less vs. Ped-er-NAH-les
- Koenig: Kay-neg vs. Co-neg
- Llano: Lan-no vs. YAH-no
- Govalle: Go-val–lee vs. Go-VAH-yah
- Coyote: Kahy-oht vs. Kahy-oh-tee
- Poinsettia: Poin-set-uh vs. Poin-set-ee-uh
Enjoy the Texspeak y’all!!!